The 6th edition of the GéoMécanique newsletter is brought to you by Chao Yuan. It contains the latest news regarding research publications, conference visits and other activities of the staff and students from the GéoMécanique group of Laboratoire 3SR (Sols, Solides, Structures – Risques). If you have something you want to share, please don’t hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to forward the letter to colleagues and friends, and let them know that they can subscribe by themselves here. Enjoy.
The paper “DEM analysis of rock bridges and the contribution to rock slope stability in the case of translational sliding failures”, by Viviana Bonilla-Sierra, Luc Scholtès, Frédéric–Victor Donzé and Marc Elmouttie, appeared in the International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences (full paper).
Cino has recently published the following papers:
- Zhao B., Wang J., Coop M.R., Viggiani G., Jiang M. (2015) – An Investigation of Single Sand Particle Fracture using X-ray Micro-tomography. Géotechnique, Volume 65, Issue 8, 625-641.
- Tordesillas A., Pucilowski S., Tobin S., Druckrey A., Alshibli K., Andò E., Viggiani G., Kuhn M. (2015) – Shear bands as bottlenecks in force transmission. Europhysics Letters, 110, 58005.
- Torabi A., Gabrielsen R.H., Fossen H., Ringrose P., Skurtveit E, Andò, Marinelli F., Viggiani G., Dal Pont S., Braathen A., Hovland A., Bésuelle P., Alikarami R., Zalmstra H., Sokoutis D. (2015) – Strain localization in sandstone and its implications for CO2 storage. First Break, 33, 81-92.
- Lim K.W., Kawamoto R., Andò E., Viggiani G., Andrade J.E. (2015) – Multiscale characterization and modeling of granular materials through a computational mechanics avatar: a case study with experiment. Acta Geotechnica, accepted July 2015.
Visits and conferences
Luc Sibille and Edward Andò from 3SR (together with Yannis Dafalias) chaired a session in ALERT 2015 entitled “From discrete methods to continuum methods: Applications, Problems and Solutions”. Along many of the excellent presentations, there were four related to Laboratoire 3SR (in order of presentation):
- Max Wiebicke: On the determination and description of fabric in natural granular materials
- Jacques Desrues: From discrete to continuum approach of BVP in Geomechanics: FEMxDEM integrated approach
- Zeynep Karatza: Observing and quantitatively measuring breakage in sand in 3D
- Ignacio G. Tejada: Definition of a continuous model of solid particle transport in a saturated granular assembly from discrete numerical experiments
Efthymios Papachristos presented the work entitled “Hydraulic fracture propagation and stress field evolution during multi-stage injections: A 3D hydromechanical DEM approach” by E.Papachristos, L. Scholtès, F-V. Donzé, B. Chareyre, H. Pourpak at the “Fracturing and fractured reservoirs” session of ALERT 2015.
Cino Viggiani from 3SR and Ivo Herle (University of Dresden in Germany) chaired a session in ALERT 2015 entitled “How should we teach geomechanics?”. This was a very inspiring workshop, with many interesting contributions — see page 4 of the available online file.
James Oetomo has participated in the 24th European Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (EYGEC 2015) in Durham, England, UK from 11 to 13 Sept. 2015, as one of the 2 French candidates selected by the CFMS (Comité Français de Mécanique des Sols). He presented his work entitled “A fully-discrete approach to study the behavior of slope dry-stone retaining walls”.
Fabrice Emeriault, Orianne Jenck and James Oetomo have participated in the XVI European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ECSMGE) held in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, from 13 to 17 Sept. 2015. Orianne delivered a presentation entitled ” Vertical cyclic loading on soil reinforcement by rigid piles: multi-scale experimental analysis” (related to Moustafa Houda’s PhD work).
Albert Argilaga Claramunt, Matías Silva and Viviana Bonilla-Sierra have taken part in the “Journée scientifique autour de l’instrumentation sismique du barrage de Saint-Guérin” organized under the framework of PERENITI chair. The session included half-day seminar where Frédéric Dufour and Eleni Koufoudi presented the context and the preliminary results obtained from the instrumentation of the Saint-Guérin dam, which was visited following the seminar. A visit to Beaufort cheese factory (cheese degustation included) closed this interesting day.
Maddi Etxegarai has just started her PhD project on “Coupled hydro-mechanics of reservoir rocks studied by quantitative in-situ neutron imaging”. She is jointly supervised by Steve Hall (Lund University, Sweden) and Cino Viggiani at 3SR.
Thanos Papazoglou has just started his PhD project on “Mechanics of localized compaction in partially saturated granular rocks – multi-scale experiments and modelling”. He is supervised by Cino Viggiani and Christope Dano at 3SR, and by Giuseppe Buscarnera at Northwestern University (Evanston, USA).
TECXXI organized a one-week doctoral school on “Multi scale approaches and multiphysics couplings in fluid and solid mechanics”, three members of our group gave lectures in this school:
- Cino Viggiani: “Full-field methods and multi-scale approaches in experimental solid mechanics”
- Jacques Desrues: “FEMxDEM double scale integrated approach in Geomechanics”
- Gael Combes: “Experimental and numerical behavior of granular media – multiscales analyses”
- Bruno Chareyre (2 talks): “Numerical investigations of macroscopic behaviour of heterogeneous materials” and “Grain-fluid mixtures: the solid-fluid non-transition”
Stiven CUERVO will defend on 4th November 2015, his PhD entitled “Modélisation des éboulements rocheux par la méthode des éléments discrets: application aux évènements réels”, supervised by Pascal VILLARD, Vincent RICHEFEU and Dominique DAUDON. The external jury members are Luuk DORREN, Alfredo TABOADA, Marina PIRULLI, Jordi COROMINAS, Eric DIMNET and Pierre PLOTTO.
Our new twin loading systems for the x-ray experiments machine have arrived. Now that we have two we can test inside and outside the machine at the same time.