As your evening commute begins to lighten up* with the approach of Spring, so does the productivity in our GéoMéchanique group at Laboratoire 3SR (Sols, Solides, Structures – Risques). Within the 30th edition of our newsletter, you can pick the greenest pre-Spring GéoMéchanique buds including seminar presentations, workshops, and publications. Please forward this letter to colleagues and friends. Enjoy!
*note we make no mention here of your commute “drying up”
If you have something you want to share in the next newsletter, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
3SR seminar series in full swing
- January 16, 2020: Robert Caulk (3SR) gave a talk on “A pore-scale Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical coupled model for particulate systems”
- January 23, 2020: Ryan Hurley (Johns Hopkins, USA) gave a talk on “Experimental Micromechanics of Geologic Materials with X-ray Diffraction and Tomography”
- January 31, 2020: Ioannis Stefanou (Ecole Centrale Nantes) gave a talk on “Controlling Anthropogenic and Natural Seismicity: Insights From Active Stabilization of the Spring‐Slider Model”
Don’t miss it! Takashi Matsushima on March 10th at14h00 discussing “Recent progress in granular statistical mechanics”.
For a full list of past and planned seminars, head over to the brand new 3SR website.
Granular GéoMéchanique ambassadors!
A (very nice!) three-day workshop on Emerging Scales in Granular Media took place in Hong Kong (14-16 Jan 2020)
Among roughly forty invited speakers, Cino and Felix represented 3SR:
GéoMéchanique team seminar activity
Thanks to our new seminar organizer, Ankit Sharma, our team continues to meet regularly to exchange ideas about ongoing research. On December 5th, we heard from Agathe Furet on her concrete impact research and Ritesh Gupta (pictured below) on the behavior of structural piles under combined cyclic loading. On January 16th, Maria Delli Carpini introduced us to her work modeling geosynthetics in cohesive soils with the discrete element method.
Don’t miss it! Coming up on February 13th at 12h30, we have Cino Viggiani presenting some recent observations on the formation of ice lenses in clays.
- Accelerating yade’s poromechanical coupling with matrix factorization reuse, parallel task management, and gpu computing. by Robert Caulk, Emanuele Catalano, and Bruno Chareyre, in Computer Physics Communications 248 (2020): 106991.
- An original approach of boundary conditions on model granular solids has been implemented in Yade-dem, a presentation of the method and an application are presented by Gerald Pekmezi, David Littlefield, and Bruno Chareyre, in Statistical distributions of the elastic moduli of particle aggregates at the mesoscale, Int. J. Impact Engineering (139), 2020.
Familiar faces back to haunt 3SR
Welcome Marta Stasiak back for her new one year post-doc concerning “L’étude numérique du comportement mécanique de blocs quasi-fragiles” under supervison of Gaël Combe and Vincent Richefeu.
Elin Törnquist, a PhD student from Lund University in Sweden, returns to complete a second three month residency here at 3SR where she will perform neutron and XRay imaging at the ILL in collaboration with Alessandro Tengattini and Edward Ando.
Geomaterials short course (still) offered – June 2020!
Registration is now open for our very own workshop entitled “Mechanics of geomaterials: from micro to macro”, which will take place in Grenoble on June 29-30 2020. The workshop is in the framework of the IACMAG conference. Download the flyer for more information.